Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Three steps forward, two steps back

Today I had another followup with my audiologist in Vancouver, and it was a dud, with one exception. I had a CI moment while on the shuttle bus I was taking from the ferry to the hospital. When the bus was approaching my stop, the driver said "Okay, St Paul's is next!" and I was sitting at the back of the bus and I was able to understand him!!!

The sucky part:

Now because I'm part of a clinical trial - they have to follow a set protocol for every individual in order to properly document preferences for different Maps (programs for the processors), and most specifically the old Maps used on current CI's versus the new ones for the Cochlear Freedom and the faster speeds regarding how the implant behaves.

Soooooooooooo today they took the program I've been using (the one I showed a preference for out of the original 3 they gave me) and removed it, and gave me 3 entirely new Maps

And letmetellyasomething - THEY SUCK!!!

I told them so today when I got the new maps and Dr Pijil just laughed. He said he felt SOOO bad to have to do this but since its part of the protocol for the study he has to.

I won't even use Programs 1 or 3 - I can't even make out anything with them.

And though with Program 2 things are "loud enough", everything sounds so dull and resonant - like I'm hearing things through a tunnel, and I can't make out speech like with my preferred one.

I'm stuck with these for 3 weeks then I go back for another followup and hopefully I'll get MY MAP back!

Of course I understand, but I told 'em I reserve the right not to like it LOL


I really can't complain - I got the surgery AND the new CI for free - all I have to pay for is my travel to/from vancouver every 2-3 weeks so its well worth it. Its just a bit frustrating becauseI *KNOW* how well things CAN SOUND. And right now I can't get that.

I pray the next 3 weeks go by fast!

Edit: Hope springs eternal. In an effort to convince myself that "It can't really be that bad" I put my favorite ABBA CD on.

It sounded like frogs singing

*sigh* man its gonna be a long 3 weeks

No comments: